On average 25 home candle fires start every day. The simple nature of candles having an open flame is the key to why they can be so dangerous. WFPD recommends using battery operated, flameless candles.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more than half of all candle fires start because candles were too close to things that could catch fire.
If you use regular candles, they need to be:
• At least a foot away from anything that can burn (curtains, walls, lamps, Christmas trees, etc.)
• Attended at all times (never leave a child alone in a room with a candle)
• Used in sturdy, enclosed candleholders
• Placed in areas where they cannot be tipped over
• Avoided in homes where oxygen is used
Avoid using candles in the bedroom, where more than one-third of home candle fires begin, or other areas where people may fall asleep. In the event of a power outage use flashlights or other battery-operated power, not candles to light your home.
Avoid using candles in the bedroom, where more than one third of home candle fires begin, or other areas where people may fall asleep.