Heading off to college is a highlight in the lives of many young adults. Unfortunately, with the newfound independence of college life comes an increased risk of fires.

According to the Center for Campus Safety there have been 79 documented, fatal fires on a college campus, in Greek housing, or in off-campus housing within three miles of campus. More than 100 students have lost their lives in these fires since 2000.

Remembering simple safety tips can prevent these fires, and save lives.

General Safety

  • Remember to call 9-1-1 in an emergency
  • If you hear a fire alarm get out of the building
  • Learn two ways to get out of the building in which you live

Electrical and Appliances

  • Do not use extension cords
  • Do not overload power outlets
  • Never plug in more than one power strip to an outlet
  • Use a surge protector for computers, TVs and other appliances

Candles

  • Avoid using lit candles
  • If candles are used, make sure they are attended and never near draperies or walls

Cooking

  • Cook only where it is permitted
  • Keep cooking areas clear, clean and uncluttered
  • Don’t overload circuits if using electric appliances
  • Never leave cooking unattended
  • If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the unit

Smoke

  • Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out
  • Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash can
  • After a party, check for cigarette butts, especially under cushions; chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast
  • Be alert – don’t smoke in bed! If you are sleepy or have been drinking, put your cigarette out first

Tips obtained from the U.S. Fire Administration Campus Fire Safety:
Safety Tips for Students & Parents

Learn what to look for before signing a lease on an off-campus apartment or housing here.

Additional Resources:

Categories: Safety Tips